Thursday, March 25, 2010

Family (and Friend!) Art







I've been giving away my artwork for as long as I've been painting. I enjoy painting things for people, whether they like it or not. (I'm sure friends can attest to this.) Last Christmas I did three paintings for family members. The Great Wall painting was for my brother, Ryan, who is quite the world traveler. He had spent some time in China before Christmas, and I used one of the pictures he took to create this painting. I did it in acrylic, which reminded me why I find acrylic so frustrating and rarely use it. The rest are in oil, as are most of my paintings. The fruit painting with the pear was for my sister, Krista. I've given her two lanscape paintings, so I thought I would give her something different. The Caribbean picture was for my mom. She had been on two cruises where she photographed the same group of houses. I figured she must have really fancied those houses, so I painted them. It was a risky move, because the colors are quite "Miami Vice", and as much as my mom says she likes my paintings, she is my toughest critic. She will tell me what she likes, and she will tell me what she doesn't like. This is a large painting, 36" x 36". It's not bashful. The fruit painting with the papaya was for my friend, Jenny. She is a dietitian, university nutrition instructor and the resident expert in all things food-related. I thought she would appreciate it because good food is in her soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment